Saturday, March 10, 2012

Marking time

About 20 years ago, give or take a few years, Lauren was a Brownie Scout, and surprise, I was involved with the troop...cookie mom, troop leader, summer camp leader, whatever was needed.  One particular summer there was summer day camp held at River Grove Park.  Don't remember all the particulars, but I do remember that we had to name our group.  Given that they were very social and noisy flock of girls, they decided to call themselves The Fantastic Flamingos.  The girls would stand on one leg, giggling wildly, make a strange bird like shrill and scream, ..."and we are Fabulous!"  Lauren can still make me smile with a shriek, tucked arm and winged salute.  Ahh, the simple silliness of 8 year olds.

When we were driving last week to the Woodlands for my first chemo treatment, we drove past a yard with the retro 1950's pink plastic flamingos staked around the flower beds. It gave me the same smile and giggle as that silly summer.   Idle mind/devil's workshop kinda of thing started to take shape in the back of my brain.  I am not an in your face, wear pink, I have/survived breast cancer kinda gal.  However, after going through the treatment, I determined that I, too, needed to claim my victories each time.   On Wednesday, before I was mugged and beaten by a group of angry villagers with clubs, rocks and steel toe boots (see Neulasta warning label), I went online and ordered a box of 6 plastic flamingos.  They are not the really tall and expensive ones by Bob what's his name, because I am basically cheap. These are  more of the Oriental Trading variety with whirling arms and cost less than a trip to Starbucks for two.    I decided that each time I came home from a chemo treatment, a new flamingo would join my flock.  When my chemo treatments are finished this summer and I begin six weeks of daily radiation treatments, I will remove one of my flamingo friends each week, until they are all down in their box.  I am more than willing to share by flock with others.  If you have a friend that has breast cancer and is undergoing treatment after I finish with mine, let me know, I will send her my birds and a Journal...kinda like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Flamingos kinda thing.  I have realized that in the journey out of the valley that the encouragement and support of others make a difference.  So, yesterday after UPS delivered my flock, Ed went out in the pouring down rain put the first flamingo in place.  

So, when you come to my house, look for my flock, coming and going.  They will be there, in the flower beds around my front door, I am sure each will have her own story to tell.  Until then, wing salute.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Choose your Side

In Chicago, folks are passionate about their teams and their choices of food…Cub vs White Sox’s, Bulls, Bears, wet vs. dunked (Italian Bee...