Tuesday, March 6, 2012

And so it begins....





In the immortal words of Sean Connery, when asked about playing James Bond again, his response was, "Never say never".  You'd think that I would have learned that by this time.  I have said I would never have a blog, or publicly ramble on about my issues or those of my family...cause I don't like the attention and basically a very private person.  

However, in the past three or four months, I have had time on my hands, between various procedures, doctors visits, and more than the regular number of  sleepless in the suburbs nights. During the night quiet as my mind spins in a thousand different directions, I can hear my wise grandmother whisper in my ear,"Idle hands are the devil's workshop".  As well as the reminder from my youth,  "Nothing good happens after midnight".  I am definitely looking at idle hands over the next 18 weeks (24, if you count the radiation that follows the controlled poisoning, oops, I mean treatments)...and I don't want to find myself in the "devil's workshop"--cause I feel like I have already taken a couple of laps around it.  Should I find myself up after midnight,  wandering the house or 'hood, I might as well be doing something constructive....since most of my Words with Friends pals go to bed by 10:00 PM.


Yesterday was the first day with my new drug routine for my upcoming chemo treatments.  It involves two very small mint green tablets of dexameth---a steroid, which lists in it pages of side effects, headache, jittery nerves (my words, not theirs), insomnia,  and weight gain...and that is just the most common, more pleasant ones...yeah! Check, check and check---right on schedule--can't wait for today's additional side effects.   So, here I am in the middle of the night, learning how to create and post to a blog, on the day I begin the first of six chemotherapy treatments for my Breast Cancer.   I am not sure what direction this might take or the frequency, but I hope to be humorous, informative (cause I am sure you all are dying to know what is going on in my life), and on occasion a little sappy or reflective. I promise to post pictures of my beautiful one month old grandson, Eli.  I, however, am not promising to post pictures of myself...have never like pictures of myself, I prefer the lies I tell myself when looking in the mirror much better.   I will also share my family lexicon of phrases.  Not sure where they come from, but both my sister, Kathy, Lauren, George, and I all use them and assume that everyone know what were a talking about.  Example: "I am going to go beep for bucks". Translation:  I am going to the ATM and get cash.


If there is a day when there is nothing going on that merits a posting, I will go back to things that have happened in the last ninety days---there are some real great stories that need an audience, cause you can't make some of this stuff up.  If there is nothing, assume I maybe hibernating, or out after midnight getting into trouble.



3 comments:

  1. Great post Mrs. Pickle! Welcome to the blog world. :) We are rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can always bring a smile to my face no matter the situation!!! I am glad you are blogging what with the creative mind you have and your writing skills this is perfect!!!!! I am one of the late night - after 10pm words with friends :) Hang in there gf and if you need bailing out after midnight when your out getting into trouble....you got my number ;p E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always said that with your humor you should write a book...that was many years ago, so the blog may be more appropriate these days! Hate to hear that you are dealing with breast cancer and everything that goes with it. I'll stay tuned and if you want to look me up, this Words with Friends player stays up past midnight EST! :o) Robin

    ReplyDelete

Choose your Side

In Chicago, folks are passionate about their teams and their choices of food…Cub vs White Sox’s, Bulls, Bears, wet vs. dunked (Italian Bee...