Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Just sit right back

 Just Sit right back...

...and We will tell you a Tale, a tale of a fateful Trip.  It started from this tropic port....  If you are of a certain age, you know that if the familiar beginning line of the theme from Gilligan’s Island.  
Yes, you know the tune, and can thank me when I return for planting that in your brain’s iTunes account as you know it will be stuck there for days.  It has been stuck in mine since we arrived at Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale), Terminal 25—the newly opened Celebrity terminal ready to board Reflections with 3,087 of our new friends...so, not the SS Minnow, for sure.  

As for casting, Eddie is a definite Thurston Howell III, complete with the Blue Blazer and White buck deck shoes.  Of course, by default that would make me Mrs. Howell, or Lovey...As much as I would like to claim Ginger, the Movie Star.  I know my place, I am Lovey.
Reflections is Celebrity’s one and only ship with more than 2,300 passengers.  There is a reason that there is only one of these.  Celebrity has (or had, depending on your prospective) figured out its market in the cruise ship industry.  As part of the Royal Caribbean family of cruiseliners, it likes to claim the sophisticated more seasoned traveler (read old farts with a little more money that don’t bring their children). They have a whole fleet of ships that serve between 1900-2300 passengers....Reflections was the one that tested that boundary ....while beautiful, there are too many people on board to suit Thurston.  In fact, the Suite Program (aka Powder Puff Program) represents 15% of the folks on board, instead of 5%.  Do the math, folks, that means there are tons of Thurston Howell’s in their nifty blazers (with and without insignias), lots of Loveys, a good number of Thurstons with Gingers or Mary Ann’s, or Loveys and MaryAnn, a couple of Thurstons and Gilligans  —-all wanting their bottoms powdered first and frequently.  

As time goes on, I am sure I will share stories of the other Thurstons on board....but today it is all about the Gilligan Moment.  Could this be another Eddie story?  Nope, it is actually a Lovey (Karen) story.  As yesterday was an Evening Chic (previously known as Formal Night), and an at sea day..duh, it is a Transatlantic—-there are 7 of them...I always attempt to clean up for those evenings and make a little extra effort.  One of the perks of sailing in a suite is the bathroom generally has a whirlpool tub...some are newer designed than others.  My absolute  favorite is the one with no dirty jets but tons of little pen  holes in the bottom and side of the tub....an ahhh, moment for sure.  Side bar...I let Thurston talk me out of said pen holed whirlpool when rebuilding after Harvey...my bad.  My second favorite is the button jets on bottom and sides....bingo, we have a winner.  Our current home at sea has said tub—-with a room steward that cleans it twice a day.  What is not to love?  I lost track of time (warning during the time changes on Transatlantic crossings (6 total) -Apple device and Ship time may differ) while reading and was not ready when Thurston was.  There is a whole math problem based on the number of passengers, Suite program people and drink packages that comes into play when 5:00 rolls around.  Let’s just say that on this ship, Thurston has determined that 4:45 arrival in Michael’s Lounge is the best time to get a good seat and order before the crowd gets too heavy.  I forgot my homework assignment and failed to realize that is was 4:45...and I was not even bathed.  So, I sent Thurston ahead to secure a seat...but I was going to have my soak first...everyone has their own list of priorities.  

Most whirlpool tubs are simple to operate, on/off buttons, just remember to fill the tub past the top of the jet, add essential oils, Epson salt bath bomb, or bubble bath and remove glasses and place in bathroom counter and ahhh...the next 20-30 minutes are mine.  Right?  Yeah, totally, I relaxed on the well placed neck pillow and let the steam rise.  Well, in my haste to maximize my tub experience I failed to study the control buttons.  My assumption was on and off were the two options....nope, there were 6 different options...with internationally accepted emojis for speed, lights, style...none of which was more than a vague bunch of circles and flashing lights without my glasses.  For the first 5 minutes, I pushed buttons blindly...red lights, pink lights, stronger jets...remember the part about jets on bottom, as that little piece will come 
into play when I have to semi leave the bubbling cauldron to reach my glasses on the vanity counter.   Well, Thurston was long gone, so I was determined to conquer the problem myself, but not until I had my soak. After the water had cooled, I pushed enough buttons until I  had the jets seemed as gentle as possible.  It was time to figure out my exit plan.  Okay, let’s review our physics/engineering/operation of water covering jets...the water does indeed cover the jets, if my bottom is on the tub bottom.  I have added essential oils to heighten my tubbing experience —-that would be the part of oil and water not playing well together.  Finally, the lots of jets in bottom and sides of tub parts.  The dilemma naturally is how to get my glasses off the counter so I can read the symbols enough to turn off my tub.  Without a hanger, or long stick, I had no other options than to stand up and stretch to reach said glasses.  Warning, danger, Will Rogers...the water displacement  cause by my petite frame that had occurred to cover said jets was not longer happening.  The whole oil and water thing made my footing less than good, so I grab the side of the tub...with the 6 international symbols to avoid the slip and fall which, of course, proceeded to shoot water at full force out of every nozzle.  The walls, floor and just about everything else was covered in water.  So, as quickly as I was able I’d grabbed my glasses (also now wet) , and sat back down.  My glasses were wet, fogged and oily —- it took a couple of minutes to press the correct buttons to stop the action on the whole tub experience.  Once I managed to stop laughing, and pushed the necessary button, the tub started draining, but making the same sound a vacuum cleaner makes.  Okay, it is now 5:30, our room steward, Shawn, usually shows up with evening turn down about this time...he picked up on Thurston’s 5:00 behavior on the very first day.  I was just sure, given my hearing issues, that Shawn had knocked on our door and I was mid-crazy tub moment and did not hear it and he was in our living room area vacuuming away.  Yikes, my clothes are all neatly in the drawers and closet area in said living room area....and the “plush” towels are not quite large enough to cover all my petite parts.  I move from the oil slick, now empty tub, grab a towel and close the bathroom door....and wait.  At some point, common sense return to my brain, and I knew it was the tub making sucking sounds.   There were lots of towels used to clean up the water from my tub moment.  On an positive note, the walls have been lemon oiled and washed.    Needless to say, I was extremely late to cocktail hour...but had a good story.  

Tomorrow, I might even attempt the whirlpool on our balcony as it has only an on off button...I have checked.  Wonder if this is how some people manage to fall overboard?  







1 comment:

  1. Always an adventure/story with the Pickle Travels, can't wait for the next episode!

    ReplyDelete

Choose your Side

In Chicago, folks are passionate about their teams and their choices of food…Cub vs White Sox’s, Bulls, Bears, wet vs. dunked (Italian Bee...