Monday, April 2, 2012

Shhhh! Don't tell, it's a secret!

I've got a secret...Ed has no idea that I am blogging.  Or at least I don't think he does.  I like it that way.  You see Eddie is a frustrated English teacher, complete with red ink pen and ruler, or at the very least a book editor looking for the next prize winning novelist. (Note:  I did not say he was looking for the next John Grisham or James Patterson---he likes extremely well written books)  There is not a book that he won't read cover to cover, even if it is boring beyond belief.  On the other hand, if you don't have me in the first 25 pages with murder or intigue, I am so on to the next Kindle purchase.  He collects books, and we have have 4 rooms of bookcases to prove it.  When we travel, he has been known to use 10 pounds of his 50 pounds luggage limit on hardback books....me, I am a love'em or leave it kinda girl, I read junk---National Enquirer, People, pop fiction, Reader's Digest---all the classics.  So, that brings us to the English Teacher Eddie.  Being so well read, with a real command of the english language, large vocabulary and all, he is quite the critic.  When we were dating---he was the older man-law clerk--I was the college senior--with but a summer class in Freshman English Comp II to complete to graduate (yes, I procrastinated on that one), he would correct my love letters (remember phone calls were expensive--there was snail mail and that was it) in red pen and return them to me. 36 years later, he still has a red pen.  I am afraid he might make me diagram the sentences in my blog should he find out.  At the very least he would offer grammar lessons, SAT vocabulary words, ideas---let's just be honest, he would hijack the project.  And frankly, blogs are not novels, they are random thoughts put down for friends.  I like it that way.  The other thing about this little blog is that you can be a fly on the wall..

A fly, wasn't last week about bugs...windshields, etc.  Trust me,  you so want to be a fly.  You see, Mr. Eddie is getting his left knee replaced on Thursday.  So, his 90 day adventure will begin on Thursday at St. Luke's hospital, downtown.  He has been flirting with this for a couple of years, but has been on a steady downhill run since November.  After 90 days with everyone else's medical drama, he decided to jump into the deep end and get his first of two replacements done.  We have worked this out.  Timing is everything-- left knee first so he can drive, my good days, George's time off for Easter, his next surgery--- he even threw down the "chemo/cancer" card so the Orthopedic doctor would schedule the surgery on a non-knee replacement day. The only thing that is not covered is Eddie is an awful patient, and regards all of the doctor's orders as suggestions.  Can't wait.  Team Pickle has worked out the hospital coverage so that I don't spend to much time in Cootie Central. I don't think that chemo is the same as a fifth grade cootie shot.   (I am so going to write a blog about the cleaniness of the area 5 star hospitals public bathrooms and waiting areas--uck!--where is Marvin Z when you need him)  He will be pretty much on his own with the nurse's call button and morphine pump.  Dr. S has told him that his only limitation is how hard he is willing to work---the knee can't be hurt...and number 2 replacement depends on how quickly he gains mobility back in knee #1.  "Frankie", the motorized lift chair is back home after spending the holidays and winter with Lauren's father-in-law, Tom.  (Frankie as in Frankenstein)  We have refilled all drug prescriptions and have the PT bands ready and waiting.  This time next Monday, I will know if there is a new bug in town...

Speaking of bugs, my Apple (as in IMac, Ipad, email account, picture account, etc.) has a worm in it.  Over the last couple of months, there have been warnings that I needed to upgrade to iCloud.  So, I did..made that phone call, did as instructed, done, finish, right?  Since then there have been various issues that have come to my attention that make me quite sure that Apple doesn't like users that don't keep purchasing their latest wiz bang product, service or upgrade.  (Read--older cheap consumers)   When I got the message in my mac email account yesterday that my email was no longer supported---what I am paid until June, and you said the iCloud was free?  I figured it was an April Fool's joke....so I called my resident tech geek--George--my ipad and computer have choked three times trying to make the change to iCloud. So, if you get returned email, try my old DSL account that I have had since Al Gore invented the internet-gherkin@pdq.net...I may have to trade in my apple account for a pear or banana...time will tell.   Will let you know....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Choose your Side

In Chicago, folks are passionate about their teams and their choices of food…Cub vs White Sox’s, Bulls, Bears, wet vs. dunked (Italian Bee...